[OSM-talk] Your experience in reaching out to Maps.me users ?

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Fri Dec 4 17:53:03 UTC 2020

Dec 4, 2020, 17:37 by michael.montani95 at gmail.com:

> nothing is letting them know that they are actually vandalising the map.

If they continue to edit and ignore comments then contacting Data Working Group
would be the next step (they can use 0-time block that makes sure that someone
will read message before further editing).

>  It's difficult also to proceed with full reverts because some tags from time to time seem reasonable, but can be challenging to verify on the ground.

If nonsense is mixed with potentially valid edits and user is not responding then
full scale reverts are perfectly fine.

> I'm actually wondering about the causes of such bad tags, is Maps.Me using preset
> names which are difficult to associate to actual tags?

maps.me is quite confusing/unclear in describing what is actually edited, how OSM
works and users can add only add points from a limited preset.

That is why so many things are added as tourism=attraction (it is also the first
on the list)

>  Should it be mandatory for OSM editors to show OSM notifications?

Maybe, at least strongly encouraged.

> It seems also Maps.Me itself is difficult to contact!! > https://github.com/mapsme/omim/issues/13951

Their issue tracker is basically write only and they basically ignore bug reports,
especially in recent years.

See https://github.com/mapsme/omim/issues/created_by/matkoniecz

See also at https://github.com/mapsme/omim/issues how many issues of all reported
are open (2/3 ratio is typical for abandoned or completely dysfunctional projects).

In fact, real issue tracker used by developers is private (at least it was some time ago
when I still tried to report bugs and expected that there is a real chance of a fix).