[OSM-talk] Call to Take Action and Confront Systemic Offensive Behavior in the OSM Community

Niels Elgaard Larsen elgaard at agol.dk
Wed Dec 9 20:27:01 UTC 2020

Celine Jacquin:
> Hello everybody
> I hope you are all well

I have not commented on this before because I thought it was better to just let it pass.

It was not a very elegant email.
But it was not misogynistic.

I did not think it was offensive or dehumanizing.
Maybe Trumps words were, but that does not mean that Ramm's paraphrasing was.
Just as Céline Jacquin's email here is not offensive because she links to a webpage
that contains the exact same words.

There is only one person that could be offended by Ramms's email and that is Michal
Migurski. I note that he is endorsing your statement. I had hoped that he would argue
that the comparison was wrong or unfair.

> We, several groups, chapters, organizations and individuals, have reacted to the
> conversation in the osm-talk-list
> (https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2020-December/085692.html
> <https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2020-December/085692.html>)
> considering that it is an incident symptomatic of the problem we have faced for many
> years in the community, which is one of the greatest obstacles to diversity at all
> levels of OSM. Time to make a real change.
> That is why we have developed a beginning of statement on the desirable mechanisms to
> work solidly on the rules of coexistence and improve diversity.
>
> We bring it to your attention and invite anyone who feels represented to sign it.
> Translations are in preparation (any help is welcome):
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/130JCTX9ve4H4ORXznmIVTpXiN3TX8nRGA8ayuTZ9ECI/edit?usp=sharing
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/130JCTX9ve4H4ORXznmIVTpXiN3TX8nRGA8ayuTZ9ECI/edit?usp=sharing>
>

> On behalf of the signatories
> Best regards