[OSM-talk] [Osmf-talk] Call to Take Action and Confront Systemic Offensive Behavior in the OSM Community

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 13:06:15 UTC 2020

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 7:54 AM Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:

> Blake Girardot wrote:
> > I will just point out a common pattern:
>
> CĂ©line posted an eloquent opening statement that talks about "this dominant profile" and the thread has, true to form, largely descended into the same dominant profile arguing and "just pointing out" things.
>
> It might therefore be incumbent on us all to shut up and let women be heard. Their experiences do not need to be mediated through our mansplaining.
>
> In that spirit I'll post no more on this.

That is very thoughtful of you, I appreciate your point of view.

I will instead not let the demands of the loudest folks fall on the
folks most affected by their impacts.

I have a responsibility to speak up from my white male western
position of privilege. This thread is the very definition of
"systemic" issues. It is a huge time and emotional tax on people to
deal with the constant questioning and demands for proof and
disagreement, questioning, etc. By an onslaught of more bold, and free
time and other advantaged folks and people who feel everyone should
hear them on every single issue constantly. Well, hear someone else
for a moment please.

That is time the letter writers have to spend not doing whatever they
want. I am so sorry it always falls on those affected, I do what I can
to be a meaningful al.

And if no one answers people do not recognize the gaslighting and
discouraging tactics, intentionally used or accidentally used.

I will continue to point that out to those who do not understand it. I
do not need to point out a darn thing to the folks who signed the
letter, they pointed it out to me and I appreciate it.

Feedback from folks who signed the Call for action is welcome :)

Best wishes,
Blake