[OSM-talk] [Osmf-talk] Fwd: Call to Take Action and Confront Systemic Offensive Behavior in the OSM Community

Kathleen Lu kathleen.lu at mapbox.com
Thu Dec 10 19:58:29 UTC 2020

First, let me say that I do know Frederik personally, I have had
pleasant dinners with him and hope to do so again post-pandemic. He
has apologised for his poor choice of words, and I accept his apology.

The volume of attacks and hostile tone against Celine in reaction to
the document she shared demonstrates exactly why OSM is not a
welcoming community for the majority of women. For myself, I find the
listservs to be the least welcoming part of the community. These
comments are not enough to prevent me from mapping and participating,
but they are discouraging and demotivating.

A lot of people on this list are conflating systems of discrimination
and inequality with hostile intent. Systems are not personal and are
not about intent. Discrimination and inequality can be structural, and
can and do take place without intent, sometimes by accident, sometimes
due to structural inequities not within the immediate control of the
actor(s) examining the issue.

To make a non-technical analogy, if you step on someone's foot by
accident, you still stepped on their foot, and their foot still hurts.
Apologising helps, but it would be better if you didn't step on their
foot in the future. If one group has shoes and another group does not,
the group without shoes is more likely to be on the end of painful
steps. How do you solve such a systematic problem? One option would be
to give everyone shoes. Another would be for those with shoes to step
more carefully. Right now, society demands that those without shoes do
the work of dodging everyone else's steps, documenting a list of times
they've been stepped on, and explaining why getting stepped on hurts.

Underrepresentation of women and gender minorities, racial
underrepresentation, geographic underrepresentation, these are all
symptoms. If OSM did not systematically exclude these groups, these
groups would not be underrepresented. Such a problem is not unique to
OSM, nor is it easy to solve. Step 1 is to recognize the problem. A
vocal contingent of the community is not willing to do that. I believe
this contingent is vocal but not a majority of OSM, but
overrepresented on the listservs. I would encourage those who are
watching this firestorm to consider that the listservs are a very poor
representation of the OSM community and the views of its members. I
would also strongly encourage those watching to vote in the OSMF Board
elections.

Kathleen