[OSM-talk] [Talk-us] Bombing, AT&T building, Nashville, Tennessee, USA.

Chuck Sanders nathhad at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 16:58:49 UTC 2020

If the locations are known, yes. American-specific detailed explanation
follows:

As government security training explains, if you'd ever had it, it's the
responsibility of government employees to keep their own secrets. If
something like current data on silo locations got out to be mapped, they
have already failed. That is the responsibility of the person or persons
who caused the security breach, not the mapper. (And yes, there would be a
full effort to identify those persons.)

As a private individual, you only have an obligation here if you were a
government employee or clearance holder, both of which come with security
obligations that being a private citizen does not. In those specific cases,
if you find classified information mapped, you are actually obligated to
report it. However, that is a responsibility that comes with being an
employee or clearance holder, not a burden that applies to the general
public.

The point is, once that kind of information becomes public enough to be
found and mapped in the first place, your attempt at security through
obscurity has already fully failed. You can't put that cat back in the bag.
That is one large part of why trying to go back and "hide" this kind of
information after the fact is incredibly misguided.

Chuck