[OSM-talk] it's not a fake, but "it's complicated

Mario Frasca mario at anche.no
Thu Feb 6 22:34:07 UTC 2020

oops, Aaron, I'm afraid I was not clear in at least one of my
statements.  so sorry.

On 06/02/2020 15:42, Aaron Young wrote:
>> but also checks with the local community, if there is any,
>> what special agreements rule in the local community.  for Panamá, I
>> would like to have such activities listed in a dedicated page in the
>> *wiki*.
>
> This is doable and we try, without making an excuse, it is hard to
> determine who to coordinate with in “each” community.  This may be
> because mappers are active, not active, want to be communicative and
> others don’t.  I would also be hesitant to agree to “special
> agreements” which might take away from the idea of open, free data for
> all to utilize.  Utilizing the main OSM wiki for editing standards is
> preferred, with limited country specific editing guidelines.  This
> creates a more global map for all.

when I speak of special agreements, I refer to the contents, not to the
licenses.  like what do we do in a case like … (here comes the
description of the case).  osm is IMO very north-centric: not only does
it speak British English all over the place, in the terms to use, but
also in the concepts it implements.  take "village green".  I've been
using in Panama because there's a lot of places with open space not
belonging to anybody in particular. but go to the description in the
wiki, and you get the impression that OSM is made for-and-by the blind
British retired high rank military.

anyhow.

"special agreements" on how to use tags and values, that's what I
meant.  possibly with pictures.  think of Highway Tag Africa.

also, again thinking of Panama, most places get at least 4000mm rain
yearly, some ~6000mm, Pacific weather pattern is different from
Caribbean, the so called Cordillera Central is a transition zone with
the worst of the two sides, and then there's Herrera-Los Santos with
possibly 1500mm/year.  any road with 'surface:ground' absolutely needs
an indication of the period when it can be expected to be usable.
'ford:yes' also need that.  'incline' can be of great help.

that's just what me as a newcomer to the place can think of.  I'm not
sure where to find this information other than coming here and observing
yourself.

> […] Example from South Africa (we started this after Panama):
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/South_Africa#Kaart_Groundwork_.26_Mapping

interesting, not enough people here in Panama for so much work, but
interesting.  chapeau!

ciao,