[OSM-talk] Crimea situation - on the ground

Mikel Maron mikel.maron at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 18:59:51 UTC 2020

There's two different concepts at play, that OSM does not currently tag well when in conflict. There's national sovereignty, which is a political concept which in large part depends on international recognition. And there's de facto control, which could result from military actions. For most of the world, these two are in sync. In Crimea, they are not, and there is a dispute.
There are so many varieties of disputed territories in the world, it's hard to come up with a system that works for every single situation. And tagging structures for disputes could certainly get complicated. However, I believe that the OSM community could come up with something that works well enough for Crimea, that it would be broadly agreed that the situation is represented accurately.
That tagging may not work for every single dispute in the world, but the tags could evolve as well as they are implemented in practice.
-Mikel