[OSM-talk] OSM/LondonOSM | Re: Crimea situation - on the ground

Yuri Astrakhan yuriastrakhan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 16:36:48 UTC 2020

Thanks Rory, that's an interesting case.  One thing of note is grouping
names by language/dialect is fairly common but still arbitrary division --
i.e. it assumes that a group of people speaking one language/dialect have
no contradictions in naming something.  But just like we should not assume
language is the same as a location for wiki documentation, names could also
differ depending on location rather than name.

A case to the point:  Russian speakers from New York tend to say "in
Manhattan" (meaning -- in the city/borough of Manhattan), where as Russian
speakers from everywhere else tend to say "on Manhattan" (on an island of
Manhattan). I suspect this has cultural roots -- there was a popular song
with words "live on Manhattan" that recently made that expression popular
everywhere except for the Russian-speaking NYC populace.  Of course this is
not something we need to document in OSM, but it highlights that language
is not homogeneous with naming.... and just makes a fun story :)