[OSM-talk] OTG rule, borders & mountains existing | Re: Crimea situation - on the ground

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Tue Feb 11 22:52:19 UTC 2020

On Feb 11, 2020, at 2:41 PM, Mikel Maron <mikel.maron at gmail.com> wrote:
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2020-February/083993.html

Thank you.  That's recent, and reminds me that I agreed with you as I (and I suspect others) support a yet-to-be, well-designed tagging protocol which clearly denotes these distinctions (national sovereignty vs. de facto control).

This dichotomy (as in Crimea) is one more area where OTG "fails" (mm, better stated:  "needs clarification").  The others (mountain ranges, oceans...) I mention in my previous (and lengthy) missives remain.  This not only makes more plain OTG's problems (at its edges, mostly) but brings the topic back to the (original thread's) issue of Crimea, which isn't an edge-case, but something which OSM continues to face.  While solutions don't seem easy or quickly forthcoming, I am heartened by good discussion here and in the Good Practices Talk page I linked earlier.

Yes, OTG has some work to do.  Again, I think we can get there.

SteveA