[OSM-talk] Creation of "Data Items" by bot for undocumented tags

Yuri Astrakhan yuriastrakhan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 23:14:21 UTC 2020

It is very strange that we, on one hand, allow anyone to create any kind of
tags (just type it in), and on the other we create so many hurdles to
document it (we refuse to allow a wiki page about an item, but instead
demand that each key page go through a proposals process, approve it,
etc).  I believe this is a ridiculous situation solvable with the data
items.  If I, the editor, create a new tag, I should have a way to type in
a short textual description (one/two sentences) explaining what that tag
is.  Without knowing how to create wiki pages or data item pages or using
the right templates, or even knowing which fields to fill out where. Data
items allow for that.

When a data item is created automatically, it makes the process of adding
such documentation very straightforward -- e.g. if one uses iD editor, they
simply expand the (i) button next to the tag, click edit, and type in the
description.

Moreover, it should be possible to do so directly from iD, without going to
another page. The eventual goal is to make it simple to add such
descriptions __without__ leaving the current editing tool (iD/JOSM/...) and
without visiting the wiki.  These tools will be able to view other metadata
as well -- e.g. if this tag should be usable on a way/node in a consistent
way, regardless of the language of the user.