[OSM-talk] [Tagging] nomoj de internaciaj objektoj / nazwy obiektów międzynarodowych / names of international objects

Alan Mackie aamackie at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 22:38:04 UTC 2020

This conversation is petty, repetitive and tedious in the extreme, but as
that seems to be the order of the day:
OSM was founded in London, ALL the keys are in English which is used far
more as a means of international exchange than a niche euro-centric
language invented in the late 19th century. It makes more sense for the
'fallback language" to be in English than something with no non-bilingual
native speakers and a miniscule number of people using it as a second
language. Lofty aspirations alone do not make something common, shared or
universal, it actually has to be used too, and what you are suggesting is
used so little as to be a rounding error.
If you want the whole map in something more "common" then feel free to
download the database, translate ALL the tags and relaunch your forked
version. It won't cost very much in hosting because no one will use it.
Nearly everyone else seems happy with the status quo and those that aren't
are willing to look for consensus and follow the usual processes, not just
repeat themselves endlessly without making any new points.
Mechanical edits no not need to be automated, they just need to be mindless
or done with little thought. I would link to video on this, but alas it is
in English and I will not expend the effort finding something you will
likely refuse on principle.