[OSM-talk] [Tagging] nomoj de internaciaj objektoj / nazwy obiektów międzynarodowych / names of international objects

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Tue Feb 25 19:22:53 UTC 2020

This discussion is tedious and exhausting.  We've paid out miles and miles of patient listening to Tomek's points, politely (and unanimously) disagreed with him, yet still, he persists in thrusting his polemic upon a communication channel intended to discuss open source mapping of a particular linguistic register (the OSM talk page, where "which language should / do we use?" is a completely settled question, not an open one).  I believe I speak for many of us when I say I no longer wish to entertain "linguistic imperialism" discussions.

I suggest we begin to diminish the importance of this thread being hijacked by Tomek's topic by not responding to him (with our reasonable disagreements), as we have repeated our points so many times that seems to be the only thing left for us to do.  Perhaps that is the only reason Tomek persists:  simply to argue.  Enough already.  Without any oxygen in the room, the flame can no longer burn.  Perhaps we simply utter a brief phrase like "it's a settled matter" if the topic of Esperanto vs. English returns here.

Let's return to discussing mapping.  I agree:  as an emerging (emerged?) consensus we seem to be leaving the names of international objects in English, with any additional language welcome to be added as a name:xyz (language suffix) tag.  We can also use the int_name tag, which our wiki has documented for quite some time as "International does not (necessarily) mean English."  I remain (barely) in a listening mode to other suggestions, but they are disappearing from this conversation like the light in the sky after sunset.

"It is what it is."  (It's a settled matter).

SteveA
California