[OSM-talk] [Tagging] nomoj de internaciaj objektoj / nazwy obiektów międzynarodowych / names of international objects

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 22:55:25 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

> On 5. Jan 2020, at 23:27, Tomek <tomek at disroot.org> wrote:
>
> EN (automatic translation)
> I plan to remove the "name" and "wikipedia" tags from places that are not associated with a specific nation or language:
> * continents
> * north and south poles
> * seas and bays, but exceptionally leaving the "name" tag for seas with a maximum of two (or three) languages of neighboring countries, so for example "Белое море" will not change.
> The purpose of this edition is to make the OSM map more neutral and not humiliate people from any country. There is no reason for the Baltic Sea to be the "Baltic Sea" or for South America to be "South America" - this is an example of English imperialism.
> Any data will not be lost - programs will be able to extract the desired name from the tags name:en, name:pl, etc., Wikipedia links will be available via Wikidata.
> Please support (vote) my proposal or write a reason why not.

First I’d like to remind you that this is an English language list, please stick to English and post esperanto on the esperanto lists.
I’m not sure about the name key, although moving values from name to name:en seems ok, provided you are verifying that the value is indeed the common English name for the feature. Removing Wikipedia article tags is not ok IMHO, there doesn’t seem a benefit from this, just potential harm. There is no reason Wikipedia article tags must be in local language, generally the agreement is that the first mapper for the wikipedia tag chooses the specific article (in the language) that best refers to an object.

Automatic edits like this must follow the appropriate guidelines by the way.

Cheers Martin