[OSM-talk] no-go-areas

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Mon Jan 6 04:20:40 UTC 2020

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 12:10 PM Mark Wagner <mark+osm at carnildo.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 16:14:30 +0100
> Martin Trautmann <traut at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > hi all,
> >
> > did you read about the Suisse tourist couple which was shot because
> > they got lost in a Brasilian favela?
> >
> > NZZ (Neue Zürcher Zeitung) from Tuesday 31.12.2019. ("Schweizer
> > Ehepaar bei Irrfahrt duch Favela in Brasilien
> > angeschossen")
> >
> > Other examples are e.g. Mafia areas within Kosovo - or name your own
> > home town no-go area.
> >
> > Is there any option to mark certain areas in order to bypass routing
> > whenever possible?
> >

> The problem is that most of these "no-go" areas are subjective, both in
> boundary and in level of danger.  If you ask a half-dozen people, you
> might get a half-dozen responses ranging from "I go there all the time"
> to "The police don't patrol in less than platoon strength".

Yeah, I get this same impression.  This has the potential to rear its head
in a really classist, and varying ranges of racist, ways as well.  For
example, go post on Reddit on any given city's subreddit, and ask "I'm
moving to ___, what parts of town should I avoid?"  Fair warning, try this
for a city you're familiar with, and be prepared to die a little inside
with the answers you get.

Personally, I'm more likely to consider middle-class suburbia a no-go area
because large parking lots make it easy for car prowlers no matter how many
police are on the streets, transit coverage tends to be iffy before morning
and after evening peak commuter hours, and 5+-lane-wide boulevards tend to
be not-safe-for-life if you need to traverse them without using a car.
Your mileage may vary.