[OSM-talk] Why we have only four layers on the osm site was: names of international objects

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed Jan 8 07:35:38 UTC 2020

8 Jan 2020, 07:14 by mike at ayeltd.biz:

>  it puzzles me why 15 years      into the project we only have 4 layers on our main site.

Noone except them is willing to sponsor hosting a rendering.

> Mike
>

> Note that we do have some great projects in the wealthier      economies such as > https://openstreetmap.se/>  > https://openstreetmap.jp>  > https://www.openstreetmap.de/>   ... Why      aren't these integrated in some way into our main site !?

They are unwilling to add them to the main site, due to hosting cost issues.
(or may be unaware that it is possible, but I am betting that it is a funding issue)

See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Featured_tile_layers
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Featured_tile_layers/Guidelines_for_new_tile_layers

"hard criteria" can be shortened to "you must sponsor a hosting of tile layer that you propose to add"
(+"The proposed tile layer must not use any non-free data.")