[OSM-talk] mapping outside Europe

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 09:29:33 UTC 2020

+1 to what Mateusz wrote.

What I meant with "write the wiki page you want to see" is: create a
new wiki page "Highways in Panama" or "Highways in South America",
preferable in Spanish and Portuguese and link to that page from one of
the existing pages.
Similar to the Highways in Africa page that I showed you earlier on.
That page did not replace the western-centric page neither.

This is also similar to
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Access_provisions_in_the_United_Kingdom
A page for the British community that explains how to map access for
public footpaths.
The content is not on the (general) highway, path, nor access pages.
It is a dedicated page for a certain geographic region.

So yes, the general page will remain Europe centric, but at least
there will be dedicated pages for other geographic regions. Maybe one
day, the general page will just list all regional variants, one of
them being the European variant.
But please note that the classification of highways is based on the
UK-system and that even European countries had to adapt that to their
local system. But of course, the images are similar for a British
motorway and for a German one.

This page https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highways has a number of
links to pages with regional variations for the classification of
highways under the "Classification" section.

So start small, with dedicated pages and do not try to change existing
pages too much. That will cause more resistance.

regards

m.