[OSM-talk] mapping outside Europe

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed Jan 8 21:16:08 UTC 2020

8 Jan 2020, 17:33 by mario at anche.no:

> more constructively:
> On 08/01/2020 02:54, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
>
>> Is a new photo differing in content (confusing for Europeans in the similar way as original
>> was confusing for people from Panama)? Then both should be present, one in the infobox,
>> one in the article text.
>>

> I like this one.  :-)

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_day
has sometimes nice images.

I was not looking far but I found some fitting for OSM documentation.
And I replaced some really low quality ones with ones that I found.

And on topic of "all images are of Europe" I upgraded image on
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:lit with one from Paraguay.
Of still low quality but significantly better and more fitting the page.
After more that 15 minutes still noone reverted it :)

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:surface%3Dpaving_stones is my other
edit where I added additional images as just one from infobox was not enough to
cover the topic.

> we could invite people from different areas to contribute relevant pictures.
>
> I can do Panama, and look up in my archives for other regions I visited.  I can't obviously cover the rest of the world, but we as OSM editors surely can.

+1
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Feature_pages_with_missing_images
has some false positive but is likely to be a good start

After going through this - making a script that finds all images with extremely small
resolution for replacement would be likely a good next step (ask here or on dev mailing
list for help if that would be necessary)

> On 08/01/2020 04:29, Marc Gemis wrote:
>
>> What I meant with "write the wiki page you want to see" is: create a
>> new wiki page "Highways in Panama" or "Highways in South America",
>> preferable in Spanish and Portuguese and link to that page from one of
>> the existing pages.
>>

> Panama is such a small country!  and South America is much larger than my personal experience.  The only correct title for a page I can author would be "Highways in developing countries I know", but most of it would be similar or equal to the Highway_Tag_Africa.

I think it would be fine to start Highway_Tag_South_America and note that it is a start/proposal,
based on experience in Panama, ABC and XYZ and welcome others to expand and verify it.