[OSM-talk] Too subjective & problematic Re: no-go-areas

Snusmumriken snusmumriken.mapper at runbox.com
Sun Jan 12 07:43:25 UTC 2020

On Sat, 2020-01-11 at 21:22 +0100, Martin Trautmann via talk wrote:
> On 20-01-02 12:23, pangoSE wrote:
>
> > A map cannot solve a lack of general awareness when visiting a
> > new/unknown place. Going to the mountains to hike can also be
> > dangerous
> > if you are not well prepared. This is of course not marked on the
> > map!
>
> I agree that I don't know any non-subjective way how to identify such
> an
> area.

Well, one could rely on authority, e.g. if a national police authority
designated certain areas as high risk.

Not saying that OSM should do it, just that it doesn't differ that much
from postcode areas, where a certain authority has designated a certain
number to a certain area, although there is no ground-truth that could
be independently verified.