[OSM-talk] Too subjective & problematic Re: no-go-areas

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sun Jan 12 14:35:13 UTC 2020

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 1:47 AM Snusmumriken <snusmumriken.mapper at runbox.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, 2020-01-11 at 21:22 +0100, Martin Trautmann via talk wrote:
> > On 20-01-02 12:23, pangoSE wrote:
> >
> > > A map cannot solve a lack of general awareness when visiting a
> > > new/unknown place. Going to the mountains to hike can also be
> > > dangerous
> > > if you are not well prepared. This is of course not marked on the
> > > map!
> >
> > I agree that I don't know any non-subjective way how to identify such
> > an
> > area.
>
> Well, one could rely on authority, e.g. if a national police authority
> designated certain areas as high risk.

Yeah, that's not really going to work, either.  Just look at Portland.
Most arrests happen in poor, black neighborhoods, but you're most likely to
get hurt or killed in a suburban white area.  Besides, if you really want
to go that route, just composite their data as a layer over OpenStreetMap
in Leaflet.  There's no reason whatsoever to include it in OpenStreetMap's
database.