[OSM-talk] Deleting template parameters copied to data items

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 15:56:09 UTC 2020

Hi Frederik

Le ven. 17 janv. 2020 à 16:05, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> a écrit :

> Over the years, a couple of people have time and time again suggested
> that we get down and make a nice, curated, text-based catalogue of tags
> maintained by a team, potentially on a git-like system where pull
> requests can be submitted by everyone, but maintainers have to approve
> them.
>
> I was always on the fence about this, because it would install a
> maintainer team with more powers than the average user. But in the face
> of a wiki that is more and more moving into a direction where you need
> to have a degree in Wikidata to even participate, and where anything you
> contribute will be mowed over three times by this bot and that bot in
> order to fit into some structure that someone else has devised with
> practically zero community oversight, I think I'll prefer the git-based
> human-readable "tag atlas".

Could you please elaborate a bit more on why by human for human is the only
thing that exists in our landscape?
Don't we have tools that actually rely on that documentation to work and we
should take care of this as well?

In a really practical approach, I'm fed up to maintain sync in dozen of
translated pages containing the exact same template with the exact same
information.
DataItems would keep anyone able to document the tag as we do now instead
of a centralised git system with pull requests.
It's ok to say that as any brand new thing it will require further
development to be perfect. IMHO my contributions are more usable and
efficient on items than on many-same-wikitemplates.

OSM semantics and tagging model are also a thing and delivering it in a
structured database could make it usable at a really larger scale than now.
It's more about organizing knowledge than human readable documentation.
Time is short to make both in separates repositories.

Best regards

François