[OSM-talk] New tool to convert OSM (history) tagging data to CSV

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Tue Jan 21 18:26:02 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I've made a tool to convert OSM data to CSV, aimed for history files but
works on all PBFs, making one CSV row per tag change:

     https://github.com/rory/osm-tag-csv-history

CSV is a very popular format, and lots of other programmes can use it. I
hope this tool helps new people explore OSM data, and how OSM data
changes, and how people are mapping, and that it opens up OSM data
analysis to more people

I've lots of experience with unix shell commands, so here's how to use
this data & bash shell to figure things out:

Who's changing `building=yes` to something else:

     osm-tag-csv-history -i data.osh.pbf -o - --no-header | grep -P
'^building,[^,]+,yes,' | xsv select 8 | sort | uniq -c | sort -n | tail
-n 20

To look at all the edits that a user has made, to see what sort of thing
they map:

     osm-tag-csv-history -i data.osh.pbf -o data.csv.gz
     zcat data.csv.gz | xsv search -s username "^USERNAME$"

You could also see who's adding certain types of features. More
information here: https://github.com/rory/osm-tag-csv-history

--
Rory