[OSM-talk] Q&A site update from Ops (was: our Q&A site help.openstreetmap.org is dying)

Michal Migurski mike at teczno.com
Sat Jul 4 05:35:09 UTC 2020

Hi Everyone,

Since Tobias Wrede started this thread in May, the Ops group has discussed the Help site during our regular meetings. We understand the importance of the Q&A site and acknowledge that the software running it is old and under-maintained.

In addition to the possibility of moving the site to a new platform like the ones mentioned in this thread, we’ve also verified that all past Q&A content can be archived [1] regardless of future platform and talked about potential underlying causes of the frontend script problems some users have experienced [2]. Currently, the Ops group has two initial conclusions:

1) We aren’t able to confirm the extent of the Javascript problems described in this thread because we lack a front-end monitoring that would provide this information. Our existing monitoring extensively covers the underlying server, shenron [3], alongside superficial uptime measurements [4].

2) The Q&A server is shared by Trac and SVN services which are being deprecated over the next month [5]. Deprecating Trac and SVN will allow us to better isolate and observe problems that Q&A is experiencing, and perhaps solve them by removing these competing services on one of OSM’s older pieces of hardware.

Over the next two months, I’ll be watching the thread [2] for reports of new failures. If these continue past August when SVN and Trac have been deprecated, we’ll add monitoring to better understand their cause and determine what work may be needed to fix or migrate OSM’s Q&A site.

-mike.

Links:
1. https://ops.pads.ccc.de/meeting-202006-A (archiving report starts at line 173)
2. https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/74831/why-does-the-add-a-new-comment-button-sometimes-not-work?