[OSM-talk] Proposed changes in rendering of diplomatic offices

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Fri Jul 24 16:27:28 UTC 2020

Hi,

There is a proposition to change rendering of diplomatic offices on OSM
Carto style (which is used for generating default map layer on OSM.org).
On the one hand it introduces flag symbols for a new tagging, but on the
other it would immediately stop rendering old, deprecated tag
(amenity=embassy):

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/4168

My concern is that such change would invite automated mass edits,
because half of these objects still carry the old tag, which is a lot
for such common and well known feature IMO:

https://taghistory.raifer.tech/#***/amenity/embassy&***/office/diplomatic

I think it's better for example to wait until the old tagging will pass
much lower limit (I propose 2k - the lower amount we consider worth
rendering in most of the cases) or just add new icons without removing
rendering for the old tag (it sholud be removed when it drops to a low
level).

What solution would you propose there?

--
"Holy mother forking shirt balls!" [E. Shellstrop]