[OSM-talk] Heresy - pure discussion

Alexandre Oliveira rockytvbr at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 22:16:48 UTC 2020

I think it's stupid to even think about switching to MSSQL. OSM is
free and open data built on top of free and open source technologies.
Switching to MSSQL would be a dumb move, and as mentioned before, it
would require the refactor of several tools built to work with
PostgreSQL, which is pretty much the standard database nowadays for
geospatial data, and IMO it would make OSM non free and open.

> Having said that the main advantage of SQL is
> it is a standard so you should be able to connect practically anything to
> it.

That's not entirely true. SQL is a language but every database
implements its own dialect, i.e., some query keywords implemented in
MSSQL might not be available in MySQL/MariaDB and vice-versa.

> For development Microsoft visual studio is normally recognised as the gold
> standard for development environments and remember Github is now owned by
> Microsoft.

Gold standard for Microsoft owned products and languages. Would you
use Visual Studio to develop a Python app? Of course not, there are
much better IDEs out there. Visual Studio is widely used for Microsoft
stuff only - C#, F#, Microsoft SQL Server, and others.

I think switching to MSSQL is dumb. For the reasons mentioned above,
and what would we get from it? Microsoft support and an increase in
expenses by both users and OSM "employees" because we now need to pay
Microsoft to use their stuff? Is it really worth the hassle? Besides,
there's the side effect that many tech-savvy people would just abandon
OSM if they had to adapt their stuff to Microsoft's standards.

--
Atenciosamente,
Alexandre Oliveira.