[OSM-talk] Heresy - pure discussion

Hartmut Holzgraefe hartmut at php.net
Fri Jul 24 22:49:26 UTC 2020

On 25.07.20 00:16, Alexandre Oliveira wrote:
>> Having said that the main advantage of SQL is
>> it is a standard so you should be able to connect practically anything to
>> it.
> That's not entirely true. SQL is a language but every database
> implements its own dialect, i.e., some query keywords implemented in
> MSSQL might not be available in MySQL/MariaDB and vice-versa.

SQL is a "standard" only in so far as developers are somewhat
interchangeable between products.

There is nothing that prevents RDBMS implementations from adding
features on top of the standard, and most of the standard features
are optional anyway.

E.g. the actual ISO SQL standard for stored procedures is only really
implemented by IBM/DB2, MySQL and MariaDB, while all other RDBMS
products implement their own procedure languages (and I can't even
blame them, as the ISO SQL standard syntax feels as if it got
stuck in the old BASIC days).

The key question though would be: is MS SQL Server GIS support
on par with PostGIS?

My impression so far was that it provides just a little bit more
than what the OGC 1.1 standard requires.

That would put it in the same league as MySQL and MariaDB, maybe
slightly ahead, but very far below what PostGIS provides.

(Disclaimer: I'm working for MariaDB as a support engineer, and
have been working for MySQL before, so I may a little bit biased.
But even I would always recommend the PostgreSQL / PostGIS combo
over MariaDB for all but the most basic GIS applications)

--
hartmut