[OSM-talk] Could/should editors detect/disallow huge changeset bboxes?

ndrw ndrw6 at redhazel.co.uk
Fri Jun 12 15:07:49 UTC 2020

On 12/06/2020 15:32, 80hnhtv4agou--- via talk wrote:
> I am confused,
> are you telling me being in chicago, where i can go to the place i am
> editing, not relying on satellite view
> which is behind by at least 7 month or more here, i should be messing
> around in London.

Yes, you can map anywhere you want. There are no rules forbidding that,
and there are projects like HOT that are mostly based on armchair mapping.

Like with any edits, start with low risk/high impact changes (e.g.
adding contents to poorly mapped areas), map only what you can see in
the imagery, follow local conventions and listen to more experienced
mappers.

More guidelines: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Armchair_mapping

Ndrw