[OSM-talk] [Talk-us] fake, edit, fake map.

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 21:25:38 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 3:08 PM 80hnhtv4agou--- via Talk-us <
talk-us at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> How old is the satellite view, do we even know, or are we making a fake
map here.
In JOSM, if you right click on Bing Imagery, Show Tile Info, it will
display "Metadata Capture Date", which is the date, or range of dates, when
the image was captured.  I don't think other sources have this feature.

> what about fact checking ?
The details you have added (fence, way not running all the way through,
etc.) are wonderful, but probably no overhead imagery source, no matter how
recent, is going to show that detail, especially with the tree cover in
that area.  Remote mappers can do a lot of good, sometimes they get things
wrong.  It is great that you are local and can correct these things.

Mike