[OSM-talk] Paid mapping

John Whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 18:14:34 UTC 2020

I've noticed a number of highways being changed in Africa from
unclassified to track and from unclassified to tertiary.    The ones
I've noticed are Apple mappers usually with the comment of from Bing and
often the highways connect settlements so should be a minimum of
unclassified or path but not track.

African highway wiki  says it is difficult to classify highways without
local knowledge above unclassified.  Track is fairly easy it doesn't
connect settlements according to the wiki.

Do I get the impression we are talking targets here?  The paid mappers
have to do so many edits to meet their targets and changing the
classification using Bing is easier than adding to the map?

Do we care?  Is it is just something to be aware of.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Cheerio John
--