[OSM-talk] Facebook acquires crowdsourced mapping company Mapillary

Nick Whitelegg nick.whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Thu Jun 25 15:59:35 UTC 2020

Just another thought on this (and it is just a thought) but reflects my current thinking on OpenTrailView but could also apply to an open source StreetView-lie app:

Start small, cover a relatively small area (a historic town or national park including the footways?)  - maybe a group of people could get together to fund the server for this.

If the end product is then genuinely useful to people and has features that StreetView and Mapillary do not offer - then maybe it will attract interest, and thus funding.

If not, then at least you have created a potentially useful bit of open-source software that others could also use in small-scale situations.

Nick