[OSM-talk] Facebook acquires crowdsourced mapping company Mapillary

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Fri Jun 26 10:42:18 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 05:25:28PM +0200, Marc M. wrote:
> Le 25.06.20 à 16:16, Florian Lohoff a écrit :
> > Mapillary themselves say on their web pages that they already
> > have 1,199,363,907 images. Thats 3515625 GB or 3.5TB Data
> > assuming 3MByte per image.
>
> 3 500 000 GB ~ 3 500 TB ~ 3.5 PB ?
> ~100k€ ~100k$ hardware cost for the storage.
> or 1000 people sharing a 6TB disk on a distributed system

The 100K$ are recurring costs every 5? years.

And you honestly suggest a distributed system? What is the
availability for the images - Did you say SLA?

I am doing IT Infrastructure for 25 years now and this is NOT
a trivial task and it is definitly not a hobby pet project
someone is running from his/her basement.

Flo