[OSM-talk] Facebook acquires crowdsourced mapping company Mapillary

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Fri Jun 26 12:09:32 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 01:23:05PM +0200, Marc M. wrote:
> Hello,

> with this in mind 20k€/year for storage is one to explore.
> distributed storage, too.
>
> I don't care about SLA. Does OSM have SLA?
> No, we're doing the best we can.

The point is when you distribute your storage to people at
home we will have at most 10% of images online all the time.
So the user experience clicking on images will be awful so
nobody will use it. Disregarding the case that upstream bandwidth
internationally is pretty bad so you tend to have access times
for images of about 4-5 seconds at best. (3MByte image at
a typical ADSL upstream with 1.5MBit/s and international latencys)

Flo