[OSM-talk] Facebook acquires crowdsourced mapping company Mapillary

Marc M. marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 27 20:01:57 UTC 2020

Le 26.06.20 à 14:09, Florian Lohoff a écrit :
>> I don't care about SLA. Does OSM have SLA?
> The point is when you distribute your storage to people at
> home we will have at most 10% of images online all the time.

what facts are you basing that number on ?
The worst internet connection I have has 98% availability.
of course, it's not mandatory to have a pay-per-use dialup :)
not to mention local chapters or companies with servers in datacenters
or with fiber connection (where 2 instances of the PoC are running
right now).

> Disregarding the case that upstream bandwidth internationally
> is pretty bad so you tend to have access times
> for images of about 4-5 seconds at best. (3MByte image at
> a typical ADSL upstream with 1.5MBit/s and international latencys)

your logic does not correspond to a distributed storage.
it is not "one disk that sends one photo to one user"
it is the pool that sends the pool of requests to all users.
if you have 1000 adsl to serve 100 simultaneous requests,
this is the equivalent of 15Mb/s par request (minus the management).
I leave it up to you to imagine an order of magnitude for the conversion
between simultaneous requests and users.