[OSM-talk] Planet torrents...

Christian Quest cquest at openstreetmap.fr
Sat Mar 7 08:36:30 UTC 2020

After a few weeks experimenting planet dump sharing thru bittorrent,
here is a short report.

I've fully automated the process on my side:

- new planet pbf availability detection

- planet pbf download

- torrent generation

- torrent publishing and initial seeding

This week was the first one I had nothing to do (or fix) :)

In a couple of hours, we have around 4 to 5 seeds, 24 hours laters,
that's around 10.

Once seeded, it takes 30 to 40 minutes to download the planet dump (if
you have fast internet connection like optic fiber).

My own seeds (3) have a download/upload ratio around 3 (I've send 3
times the planet file on each seed).

Do not hesitate to share your own findings if you have tested the planet
torrents !

--
Christian Quest - OpenStreetMap France