[OSM-talk] Announcing Daylight Map Distribution

Mikel Maron mikel.maron at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 20:20:57 UTC 2020

Thanks Mike and Facebook for doing this. I commented on your diary post, but also adding to the coversation here. It's great to have this insight out and available. There's a good tradition of downstream data processing and redistribution in the community (you could call them packages I supposed) -- from GeoFabrik's regional and country downloads, to OSMQATiles, etc.

In this case (and I focused on this when we spoke), I'm not sure that the most valuable thing to distribute is what made it through Facebook filters, but rather what didn't make it through and why. That insight is valuable to identify problems that need fixing on a faster basis, notify local communities and other editors, and to build up a corpus of understanding of what problematic edits in OSM look like.

The most actionable way to do this distribution will be through OSMCha. Through the OSMCha API, you can flag changesets/features with reasons, and can be set up so that any reason tag by Facebook has a "Facebook:" prefix.

This is what Mapbox has set up. The Mapbox Streets Review team looks at edits every day, and problems are flagged and surfaced in OSMCha. You can see all of this [with this OSMCha filter](https://osmcha.org/?aoi=083b147b-a72c-4026-9db5-b70761a6795c). You'll see the most recent flag as about 3 days ago -- that's the typical time between OSM edit and review / publishing in Mapbox Streets.

Adding in Facebook flagged problems to OSMCha would provide even stronger signal of problems, and hope to explore implementing it with you all.

-Mikel

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron