[OSM-talk] #AttributionIsNotOptional experiment on OSM France tile servers

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Wed Mar 11 15:10:55 UTC 2020

Am 11.03.2020 um 15:48 schrieb Mateusz Konieczny via talk:
> Mar 11, 2020, 15:37 by simon at poole.ch:
>
>     As I wrote (conveniently ignored in the noise of the vigilante
>     rampage): "
>
> I guess that people were irritated by describing gentle reminder about
> license requirements
> using pejorative terms ("deface") where their applicability was dubious.
Sorry, but that is exactly the appropriate term, and anything that will
inevitably get you on the wrong end of being sued if you do it often
enough, is not a "gentle reminder".

>     The safe, I admit also the less fun, option, is to simply block
>     access after giving any required notice."
>
> And note that in case of OSMF-served tiles no notice is required.

I'm not sure why you feel it necessary to tell me about terms that I'm
completely aware off (and in some cases that I actually co-wrote), the
subject matter in this thread is not -just- about the OSMF operated
servers, but of those of OSM-FR and others.

Simon