[OSM-talk] Proposed new status for tags in the wiki: "import" for undiscussed tags that were only used by an import

Harald Schwarz harald.malte.schwarz at gmx.de
Wed Mar 18 01:45:03 UTC 2020

Hello,

the creation of the object:* tagging was the result of many remarks and disscussions. Most people agreed that the addr:* tag should be used
only for buildings, shps, offices, etc.

I thought that there was a need for an alternative addresing scheme that could be used without conflicting with the addr:* scheme.
That was when I starteted to use the object:* scheme for the things I tagged in OSM.

As I'm not only interrested in gas lamps but also in history culture and art I started to use this scheme for memorials and urban artwork.
I conviced some people in my community to switch to this scheme and now more and more people use this scheme.

I added a lot of Stolpersteine (memorial:type=stolperstein) and urban artwork (tourism=artwork) to the OSM database. All of them I visited
personly and photos of this objects can be found on wikimedia commons.

I have a very personal relation to these obects, visiting them in real world, during hot or cold weather, storing information about them
to OSM in long concentrated sessions. I don't think that swiching from addr:* to object:* on these objects is correctly described by the
term "mechanical edit".

Mechanical edits are problematic in OSM as there might be change on something that doesn't exist anymore or needs a new survey at the place in real world.
As I walk all this object from time to time, veryfing they still exist, I think that it is not ok to call my changes mechanical edits in the normal OSM sense.

Friendly Greetings
  Harald Schwarz
  black_bike