[OSM-talk] OSM is not the place for dissemination of authoritative data sets

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 11:51:05 UTC 2020

Am Do., 19. März 2020 um 12:32 Uhr schrieb Frederik Ramm <
frederik at remote.org>:

> I think that someone who cannot respect these basic tenets of
> OpenStreetMap - that mappers on the ground have the last word on what
> gets into OSM and what not - shouldn't be allowed to publish software
> that interacts with our database. I think we should disallow any
> contributions made with RapID/map-with-ai and friends.

I support this notion. OSM should remain the project where local people add
facts, not a collection of probable geo data as identified by AI (based
just on remote sensing and without a clue of the "on the ground
situation"). For many tasks it more important that the information is
reliable (and maybe obviously incomplete) than apparently "complete". From
am political point of view, OSM is a project that gave the power to the
people and we have been working hard to make a success. Let's not hand the
power over to big business now.

Cheers
Martin