[OSM-talk] mspray stealth organized mapping

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Fri May 22 19:49:32 UTC 2020

On 5/22/20 10:52 AM, Jean-Marc Liotier wrote:

> I just noticed a serie of mspray[numerical suffix] (mspray16
> <https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/mspray16>, mspray15
> <https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/mspray15>, mspray13
> <https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/mspray13> and mspray4
> <https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/mspray4> for example) are are
> mapping many buildings in Senegal, some of which of dubious quality.
> This looks like organized mapping but I do not see any description of
> it in https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Organised_Editing/Activities
>
> I attempted contact today, I am awaiting an answer - I'll keep this
> list informed.
>
> I suspect if may be part of the mSpray malaria spraying project.

I just received this answer:

On 5/22/20 7:55 PM, J at mesN wrote:

 > Hi Jean_Marc,
 >
 > Thanks for reaching out. Yes, these users are part of one of our
malaria mapping teams who started enumerating in Senegal this week.
There are 6 mSpray enumerators (4,8,13,15,16,17). We are only mapping
what we perceive to be residential structures after getting local
context from our in-country partners to inform this. Sincere apologies
if this has caused a problem. We will work on the wrongfully
mapped/tagged buildings when we start validating what has been mapped so
far.

 > Our lead GIS officer is currently on leave so he will post the
activity on the wiki page when he returns on Tuesday next week (26th May).