[OSM-talk] Your experience in reaching out to Maps.me users ?

Clay Smalley claysmalley at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 13:54:41 UTC 2020

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020, 5:36 AM Tomas Straupis <tomasstraupis at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Maps.me (or crap.me as it is known in some places) is a known bad actor:
> * It disguises as made in Holland, when it is actually made in Moscow
> by a company having close ties with the Kremlin.

I don't think this is accurate or even relevant. I took a quick look around
their website and found that they clearly display that they have five
offices in Russia and four elsewhere. Every interaction I've had with
Maps.me maintainers has been with someone who has a Russian surname. I
couldn't find any dishonest messaging about being primarily located in the
Netherlands.

Besides, Mapbox is known to work with United States government agencies as
well as military weapons manufacturers (so-called "defense contractors").
Does this bother you at all?

-Clay