[OSM-talk] Your experience in reaching out to Maps.me users ?

Tomas Straupis tomasstraupis at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 14:25:18 UTC 2020

2020-11-12, kt, 15:54 Clay Smalley rašė:
>> Maps.me (or crap.me as it is known in some places) is a known bad actor:
>> * It disguises as made in Holland, when it is actually made in Moscow
>> by a company having close ties with the Kremlin.
> I don't think this is accurate or even relevant.

  Google play does not say anything about the actual origin of this
software. There is some other incorrect reference "MAPS.ME (CYPRUS)
LTD" - this time is Cyprus... once again nothing close to reality and
seems like they are changing "origin" very often. Why?
  People MUST know the origin of the software and make their OWN
decision if it is safe for them or not, if they want to support a
particular country or not.

> Besides, Mapbox is known to work with United States government
> agencies as well as military weapons manufacturers (so-called
> "defense contractors"). Does this bother you at all?

  I have no information about the United States being involved in
starting wars against neighbours and annexing their territories.
  Meanwhile in 2008 Moscow has started war and is occupying 20% of
Sarkatvelo (Georgia), in 2014 Moscow has started war against Ukraine
and is occupying Crimea formally and East Ukraine informally.
  So no, I'm not concerned about somebody being connected to the US military.

--
Tomas