[OSM-talk] "Limitations on mapping private information" - wiki page

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 09:10:10 UTC 2020

Am Mi., 16. Sept. 2020 um 10:48 Uhr schrieb Christoph Hormann via talk <
talk at openstreetmap.org>:

> * it start with "The freedom to map the world..." which implies the aim
> of OSM is "to map the world" - which it is not.  OSM aims to collect
> verifiable local knowledge of the geography of the world.  That is
> something different.

checking with reality, it is clear that many mappers also share the
"mapping the world" goal and are not just mapping things with which they
are acquainted.

My own take on privacy related limitations to mapping would be much more
> simple:  Individual humans as well as their activities and social
> interactions between individual humans - including permanent physical
> manifestations of those - are not as such part of the verifiable
> geography we intend to record.

+0.9, I'd make it more precise: "private activities and private social
interactions"

> The private swimming pool and the private driveway become part of the
> verifiable geography because members of society on a larger scale (i.e.
> not just the personal social environment of the owner) interact with
> them on a routine basis.

I'd question this. Noone has to show their private swimming pool or
driveway to anybody, clearly not on a "larger scale". (I am still for
mapping private swimming pools, and driveways, as long as we do not
associate an individual with it, it has nothing to do with privacy.)

>   In those cases mostly visually - but that can
> be sufficient.

mostly you can't see private swimming pools from the street, and according
to the area, you also might not be able to see the driveway.

Cheers,
Martin