[OSM-talk] Pictures of opening hours signs for machine learning purposes

Toggenburger Lukas Lukas.Toggenburger at fhgr.ch
Fri Apr 9 12:44:59 UTC 2021

@Isaac: I haven't yet received your email with an upload location...

@Bryce: Did you already make significant efforts regarding deduplicating / sorting or otherwise processing the images? If yes, maybe you could share this altered dataset with Isaac and other interested parties?

@Bryce: Congratulations! I already saw some correctly recognized specimens! That is certainly encouraging, isn't it? Do you already know if/how you would proceed further? If you would be okay with publishing with what you already have, maybe others could build upon that.

I remember one idea we had: If users of such a recognition feature would be willing to (automatically, with little/no effort) share the pictures to increase the pool of pictures you could create a virtuos cycle, especially if you can motivate them to either mark detections as correct or let them fix it as needed.

Another thing would be having an annotation tool that helps volunteers deposit the opening hours that should be detected...

Best regards

Lukas