[OSM-talk] Java and JOSM

John Whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 14:12:03 UTC 2021

Oracle's involvement in OpenJDK was noted by myself as well.

JAVA is an interpreted language.  The advantage is the code will run on
any architecture.  Practically any native complied language is faster
than an interpreted language.

In non technical terms it works by submitting each instruction to an
interpreter which then produces machine code. A complied language
converts the source code to machine code as a separate step  before the
program is run so you don't need to wait for the interpretation. You can
also spend more time optimising the machine code.  These days there are
compilers that will compile JAVA but then it is no longer an interpreted
language.

Cheerio John

Sent from Postbox <https://www.postbox-inc.com>