[OSM-talk] [Tagging] proposed bot edit was: Re: history discardable ?

Marc_marc marc_marc at mailo.com
Sat Apr 17 11:01:38 UTC 2021

Hello,

On Sat, 17 Apr 2021 at 07:02, Mateusz Konieczny

first of all : I'm 100% in favor or removing all
history~Retrieved (case unsensitive)
thanks a lot for your proposed mecanical edit.

>> And merges of such values
>> history=Retrieved from v7;Retrieved from v3

i didn't understand. what's the objet 'll have ?
why not deleted those too ?

>> Making it a discardable key is not viable as some values can have some potential use
>> (history=monument and similar mistaggings of historic), mass removing them silently is not OK.

but if you remove all ~Retrieved values, this will make the situation worse:
actually, looking at the key, it is clear that history=monument
would be a tagging mistake.
if you remove all the history~Retrived while keeping the others,
it doesn't become obvious that history=monument is still an error.
that's why we decided to do it the other way around in France:
- first correct by hand all the errors (overpass targeting objects
with history but which are not history~Retrived). there are currently
6 values left so
- then fire all history~Retrived

Le 17.04.21 à 10:00, Oliver Simmons a écrit :

> I can't see any of the cases of people mixing up history= and
> historic= you say there are.

472 last month.
you don't see them with taginfo because they have been corrected
by hand, there was only one left.
the other 5 presently are new cases [1] because of the confusion
this tag causes, that's why making the tag disappear right away
will require much less work than correcting the errors during
the 20 years it takes for a disappearance with the discardable
status (cfr the 7 Millions of created_by objects remaining 12 years later)

[1] https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/14Gw

Regards,
Marc