[OSM-talk] [Tagging] proposed bot edit was: Re: history discardable ?

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sat Apr 17 10:51:15 UTC 2021

Apr 17, 2021, 10:00 by oliversimmo at gmail.com:

> On Sat, 17 Apr 2021 at 07:02, Mateusz Konieczny via talk
> <talk at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
>

>> I want to propose making this bot edit
>>
>> This edit would remove unneded and confusing history=* tags, remains of old software.
>>
>> It would remove
>>
>> history=retrieved using undelete JOSM plugin
>> history=Retrieved from v1
>> history=Retrieved from v2
>> history=Retrieved from v76
>>
>> And merges of such values
>> history=Retrieved from v7;Retrieved from v3
>>
>> Most values of this tag are pointless, confusing, unwelcome. Removing it manually
>> (either in organized fashion or while editing affected objects) is a pointless waste of time
>> when it is possible to automate it.
>>
>> Checking what that is by mappers encountering it and learning about it is a pointless waste of time.
>> Removing this tags from current object version would mostly eliminate this.
>>
>> Making it a discardable key is not viable as some values can have some potential use
>> (history=monument and similar mistaggings of historic), mass removing them silently is not OK.
>>
>> Removing via JOSM validator is also sometimes that would involve precious human attention
>> that can be used far more beneficially than handling (semi)manual removal of worthless tags.
>>
>> Yes, making an edit requires modifying objects. The same would happen if mapper would remove them manually.
>>
>> Also, removal of this values would make history=monument and similar mistaggings of historic
>> more visible (for example on taginfo), making rescue of that data easier.
>>
>> Full info:
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mechanical_Edits/Mateusz_Konieczny_-_bot_account/remove_history_tags_recording_revert_as_an_object_tag/
>>

> Looking at https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/history#values
> I can only see 3 values that are obviously not junk (on the last page
> of values), they appear to be names of some sort.
>
> If we take a look at those 3 cases and fix them, then just making the
> tag discardable seems to be a viable option.
> I can't see any of the cases of people mixing up history= and
> historic= you say there are.

The problem is that it is plausible that some people may be mistaken
or invent a new use for that tag and tag something.

Making this key discardable would result in silent removal of that.

Silently deleting for example osmarender:nameDirection is OK
because there is no real scenario where mapper would use that
for anything useful.

For "history" tag this assumption would not be true.