[OSM-talk] Suggested mass edits

pangoSE pangose at riseup.net
Mon Apr 19 12:06:49 UTC 2021

>>> Read the whole thread. LGTM. Thanks for keeping an eye on this garbage
>>> data.
>>> 👌
>>
>> After reading more reactions I take this back. I would prefer if we
>> together analyse the histories of these relations and decide what to do
>> about them.
>>
>> see https://gist.github.com/pangoSE/87c8706cc442930ebed8fab639d856fd
>> First relation there is
>> https://gist.github.com/pangoSE/87c8706cc442930ebed8fab639d856fd#file-relations-json-L12:
>> 4344 but I'm having trouble finding the old members.
>>
>> First tool: https://osmlab.github.io/osm-deep-history/#/relation/4344
>> gave only users and no members
>> Second tool: https://osmhv.openstreetmap.de/blame.jsp?id=4344 => seems
>> broken, no old members
>> Third tool: overpass-turbo: Works! See analysis here
>> https://gist.github.com/pangoSE/f7ba0f1cecd2913eda4523e7d457cf9f
>
> Number 2 in the list:
> https://osmlab.github.io/osm-deep-history/#/relation/7227
> Last changed by https://osmcha.org/changesets/67725905/ by contributor
> atpl_pilot. They edited in JOSM, but probably forgot to run the
> validator after deleting all the ways of the relation.
>
> I would contact the user and ask them to take a look similar to what I
> did above with overpass-turbo. It does not take long and its not hard
> once you get used to overpass.

I just found this tool which seems to be the best to look into the
history and easily see who deleted the members from the relation and
what happened to the members.
http://osm.mapki.com/history/relation.php?id=7227 -> click on member ->
http://osm.mapki.com/history/way.php?id=23273022 -> all nodes deleted by
the same user who removed the way from the relation.

The user seems to be in good standing so they probably missed the
validation step before uploading to remove the empty relation.

I encourage you all to pick a few relation from the list and contact the
concerned user in the changeset so that they can remove "their" empty
relations from the database. JOSM ask with a dialog that might affect
users "do you really want to remove this relation - it cannot be undone"
which might be scary to contributors.