[OSM-talk] Too much detail, or: mapping every single tree in a park

Skyler Hawthorne osm at dead10ck.com
Tue Apr 27 03:02:40 UTC 2021

I came across this:

And can't help but think that this serves no utility to anyone whatsoever, and just takes up space and slows down map editors.

I hesitate to destroy the effort of someone who clearly spent a significant amount of time meticulously mapping each tree, but... at the same, does it really help anyone to know where each individual tree is in a park?

Maybe I'm too pessimistic. What does everyone else think? Is there such a thing as too much detail? Where do we draw the line?