[OSM-talk] Quality FTW

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Wed Aug 11 17:24:04 UTC 2021

In the USA, I'm not surprised that both roads and rail are "showing the same" with this tool, as our TIGER import (circa 2006-7) included both.  There were and are many problems with these data.  I have spent significant time doing TIGER Review of both road and especially rail data and it is a great deal of work, with slow (but steady) progress.

Though, TIGER Review and correction of these data's many sorts of problems has been an ongoing effort by many in OSM; I've seen estimates that it will take until the 2040s before this Review is completed (and all of the noise eventually resolved).  Unfortunately, many of the excellent tools that allowed for comprehensive review of the data have sadly passed away, even as significant TIGER Review remains necessary in a great many areas of the USA.  (My favorite was the ITO map tool, discontinued in mid-2019).  Our wiki [1] offers several current strategies to fix these data.

Based on my initial though cursory review of the TomTom tool, it will only help this effort — really, multiple efforts to data garden and improve map data quality.  I agree the tool "shows a lot of promise."  Please, Steve, keep up the good work.

SteveA

[1] https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/TIGER_fixup