[OSM-talk] Smartphone mapping in Africa

Rebecca Firth rebecca.m.firth at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 14:06:00 UTC 2021

 Hi,

I just wanted to add some perspective on some of the statements in this
thread

> There are some smartphones in Africa but often internet access is
expensive and poor.

The phrase "some smartphones" is somewhat of an underestimation -
organisations like GSMA estimated 477 million mobile internet users in Sub
Saharan Africa alone at the end of 2019 (
https://www.gsma.com/mobileeconomy/sub-saharan-africa/). Additionally many
countries have 'leapfrogged' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leapfrogging)
fixed line & dated technology solutions, moving directly to much more
advanced mobile solutions. Internet access cost and quality is also hugely
variable across the whole world. Growth in OSM local editing requires local
perspective & with that, acknowledgement of the specific context of a
particular place, rather than generalisations.

> I don't think the ability to draw in highways is essential but being able
to paste a preset building outline might be nice. If possible it needs to
display the local region and by local I mean say twenty kilometre square.

I absolutely agree that we need more frictionless ways to contribute to
OpenStreetMap on mobile in order to increase local edits (quantity &
quality). We should focus on listening to the objectives of local
communities before jumping to technology solutions,

Thanks, and interested in others perspectives on this,

Rebecca