[OSM-talk] Implement tutorship for newbies

mail at marcos-martinez.net mail at marcos-martinez.net
Sat Feb 13 17:41:30 UTC 2021

Hi,

thanks for all the great feedback! I'd instinctively put the mentioned
approaches in two different categories, both of which are equally
important.

1. Quality Control and use of existing tools

- I haven't played around with the neis-one too much but it seems like
it is focused on detecting edits that are considered problematic. It is
necessary to address these kind of edits, it raises awareness but
focuses on the error, even if communicated in the most polite way.
Thanks Marc Marc for sharing your experience, doing all these checks is
a titanic task indeed but has a different approach: Yo have tried to
navigate a huge flock of "sheep" along obstacles and to avoid as much
damage as possible but the difficulty is that most of them might not be
interested in guidance. I rather would like to spot those who DO want
guidance and make it as easy as possible to provide it.

- Tools such as Meet your Mapper can be very useful but I doubt that a
complete newbie who is just trying to distinguish between a residential
and an unclassified highway, will be aware/look for/find them and use
them (yes, they are mentioned in Clifford's). Let alone the fact that
although they enable to find contributors that have mapped in the area
this doesn't mean these mappers are either available or willing to tutor
or even want to be contacted.

2. Proactive Welcoming

This is more what I am referring to. I very much like the Clifford's
(Belgium's) welcome message because it is exactly that. It has a warm
and positive tone and provides first very useful hints where to start
the journey. Many thanks for offering help to set it up. In my case I am
not aiming at a specific community but rather wanted to start the
discussion what options we have to do something similar for everybody
who is new, no matter where he or she comes from and in addition take it
to the next level by offering guidance on individual level.

The community of Bolivia is also using a welcome message which focuses
much more on best practices, with a lot of sentences that contain
negative sentences such as "You CANNOT be changing or moving the
existing data, without being sure..." "...Creating very complex
Changesets does NOT help Quality Control..." "It is NOT possible to add
populations, places or elements, without verifying..." "NO object has a
name, unless it has its own name; so a house has NO name..." While all
of these instructions are very true it is not what I am looking for as
it might create an intimidating effect.

A big thanks to Tilman for sharing and working on a tool that shows how
we might tackle my approach! Looks like a senior contributor will be
able to "sign up" as a mentor and can then be matched with nearby
newbies. Let's think how we can make this work on general OSM level,
with the flexibility to match mentors and newbies all across the globe
if necessary.

Imagine you are a completely new contributor who is eager to learn and
after your first edits you either get the option in the browser/editor
to signal you want a personal tutor or you receive a nice, warm
welcoming message with the same option. You activate it and some time
later you receive a message from John or Eduardo or Christina (names
don't matter) saying: "Hey, Marcos, you have requested somebody to help
you out, here I am. There are no stupid questions and if you want we can
set up a meeting and you can show me what causes you problems or which
are your doubts!"

Thanks again and cheers!

Marcos